Week 4 – Get yourself there!
Get yourself there!
Making green choices in transportation is one of the easiest and most effective ways to make a big difference towards a sustainable lifestyle.
The down and dirty:
Cars are the largest source of greenhouse gases and other air pollutants. Each day Canada’s 14 million cars lead to:
- Greenhouse gas emissions that cause climate change. A recent study found that over 45 per cent of Canada’s habitat could be lost by the end of this century due to climate change.
- Premature deaths of up to 16,000 Canadians each year. Tens of thousands more suffer from respiratory ailments such as asthma that are associated with and aggravated by air pollution.
- More smog days coupled with more heat waves.
How you can clean up your act:
|SPEED UP!||It only takes 10 minutes to walk 1 km!||For trips up to 10 km in the city, cycling is often the fastest option!||Read the paper, catch up with friends, do work, or nap on your commute!|
|MONEY MATTERS!||No more gym: 30 minutes of walking burns up to 150 calories for a 125 lb person and 235 calories for a 196 lb person||It costs $7500/ year to own a car compared to just $500 for a bike||A family can save about $586/ month in auto expenses|
|SHAPE UP!||Reduce your chance of heart disease by half by walking 30 min/ day. And just wait for the benefits of better memory, improved mood, and improve brain power!||Cycle free of obesity, adult diabetes, and heart disease||Improve air quality and decrease your stress level: it’s a win-win
Here’s a really interesting article on stress related to driving: Dealing with Stress and Pressure in the Vehicle
Still curious? Here are a couple of quick links to get you started:
- Transit Authorities Toronto, Montreal, Halifax, Winnipeg, Saskatoon, Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver, Victoria
- Text your bus stop number to 33333 to find out when the next bus comes in Vancouver!!
- Check out the Commuter Connections Society
- Figure out your savings with the Carpool Calculator
- To search for commuters in your area use the Carpool Tool
So get your green on! Jump to your feet, hop on a bike, or bounce onto one of our big blue buses!
THIS WEEKS CHALLENGE!
We’re looking for the best environmentally-minded action shot. How do YOU get from A to B? Post your picture to the IEGB Facebook group. The best picture will win a Cooking Companion Basket that includes: 1 signed copy of Barbra Jo’s International Bestseller Tin Fish Gourmet Cookbook, 1 artisan chocolate bar from Cocoanymph, 1 gift certificate to Terra Breads.
*For a chance to win a green prize any day of the week in November send me an email with ‘IEBG’ in the subject or, sign up to the IEBG Facebook Group.